Sunday, September 2, 2018

My Entrepreneurship Story


               My most noteworthy experience with entrepreneurship came during my time at Hillsborough Community College, where I took an Intro to Public Speaking course as a requirement for my Associate’s Degree. Although I was not initially enthusiastic about taking the class, I quickly discovered that I had a powerful talent for public speaking. Over the course of the semester, I noticed steep improvements in my self-confidence, communication, and leadership skills as a direct result of participation in the class.
               When the course ended, I sought out opportunities to further build upon the skills promoted throughout Intro to Public Speaking; however, I learned that the college offered no such opportunities. Seeing this unfulfilled need, I partnered with the public speaking professor to form HCC’s first and only public speaking club. Throughout the following year, the club grew to become the one of the largest and most active student organizations at the college, allowing over 100 students to actively develop the aforementioned skills during its first two semesters of existence. What began as an idea sparked by unexpected interest in a required course eventually became a powerful force for personal and professional development throughout the HCC student community.
               Although entrepreneurship certainly interests me, I enrolled in ENT3003 primarily because it is a requirement for the General Studies major within the online BSBA program. However, as the public speaking club demonstrates, some of our most rewarding educational experiences often come from unexpected places!
               


3 comments:

  1. Hi Zachary,

    Your post is amazing! The fact that you went out of your way to fill a void that your college offers shows that you already have a natural act for an entrepreneurs mindset! I love that you were able to create a program that will continue to help other students perfect their public speaking abilities and it is very impressive that you had the motivation to get this started. This was a great story to share!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Zachary,
    We have both had a similar experience with public speaking. I took a public speaking class at UF last year and ended up working in the UF speech lab the next semester to help others with their public speaking. That is so cool that you started a new club with your professor. Lastly, I love how you said our most rewarding educational experiences often come from unexpected places. I think this applies to a lot of other things outside education and it's something I've experienced a lot in college.
    Thank you for sharing,
    Sydney

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Zachary,

    Great story and way to go above and beyond with your interest in something. I am glad you shared something that wasn't a profit driven business per say because entrepreneurship can take many forms. For this assignment, I only thought about how I made money, whereas you took it to me how you solved a problem. While I am still not too enthusiastic about public speaking, I certainly see the value of a club like this to get everyone used to this important skill.

    Best,
    Grant

    ReplyDelete

Final Reflection

1)        One thing that stands out about my work in this course is the way my comfort with presenting new ideas to people grew each week....