Monday, November 12, 2018

What's Next?


Existing Market
1) Next Steps: My next step would be to frame this product as a necessity for motorcycle riders. I would like this product to be seen as a standard piece of motorcycle gear that every motorcyclist must have, much like a helmet.
2) The findings of these interviews are as follows:
Interview 1: Roy
          Roy said that my next step should be to expand my focus to both younger and older motorcycle riders. He pointed out that while younger riders are more likely to embrace technology, the general age of motorcycle riders skews toward older demographics. When I asked him about my next step (from Part 1), he agreed that this approach would be appropriate.
Interview 2: Matt
          Matt said that my next step should be to find a way to produce the product as cheaply as possible. He feels that a price point of $50 would be too high to justify this kind of purchase. When I asked him about my next step (from Part 1), he seemed skeptical that this kind of product would be a necessity for motorcyclists.
Interview 3: Tyler
          Tyler said that my next step should be to differentiate myself from other solutions to the need. Specifically, he currently uses regular Bluetooth headphones while riding. According to Tyler, the ways in which my product is different from the headphones he currently uses are not immediately clear. When I asked him about my next step (from Part 1), he said that this would be a solid next step, but that the differentiation problem should be addressed first.
3) Reflection:
          The feedback received in this exercise has been extraordinarily helpful in identifying and planning my next steps for this venture. All of the suggestions given by my interview subjects seem like valid directions in which this venture could be taken. This may be the most beneficial set of interviews that I’ve conducted throughout this course.
          I am particularly interested in the suggestion put forward in my first interview. Roy is correct that the demographics of motorcycle riders skew toward older people, and it’s true that fewer young people are purchasing motorcycles than in previous years. This is a critical consideration that I will incorporate into my strategy. Going forward, I will attempt to make this product appealing to both younger and older customers.
New Market
1) The Market: Drivers of ordinary cars (i.e. non-motorcyclists)
2) Although some creativity is required, I can imagine several circumstances in which a non-motorcyclist could make use of my product while driving an ordinary car. For example, someone whose car radio and/or speakers do not work may find value in a device that allows Bluetooth streaming of music while driving. This person would also be able to utilize the device’s other functionalities, such as navigation and communication.
3) The findings of these interviews are as follows:
Interview 1: Diana
          Diana drives a Toyota Highlander. When the product was described to her, she seemed skeptical of its utility in an ordinary car. She stated that if her speakers/radio were not working for some reason, she would prefer to drive in silence than be distracted by headphones. This interview provided valuable insight into the scope of the need (i.e. where it does not exist) among individuals in this market.
Interview 2: Aaron
          Aaron drives a Jeep Wrangler. During the interview, Aaron mentioned that the AUX cord that he uses to play music from his phone in his Jeep recently stopped working, leaving him unable to listen to music while driving. This presents yet another need for this product among drivers of ordinary cars that I had not previously thought of.
4) Reflection:
Although the product is designed specially for motorcyclists, I was surprised by how easy it was to imagine scenarios in which a non-motorcyclist could find value in this product. This exercise has certainly shown me how seemingly unusual approaches to new markets can produce new insights into potential opportunities.
          However, the new market does not appear to be as attractive as the existing product. Although a need may exist among non-motorcyclists, there may be other solutions that already exist to fulfill this need more effectively than my product. However, further evaluation may uncover an opportunity within this market, and perhaps a spin-off product could be developed to meet the unmet needs of non-motorcyclists.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Zachary,

    I think you came to the right conclusion based on your interviews in both new and existing markets. While your product could work for non motorcyclist, it would not nearly be as unique. I like that you took your new market into consideration but ultimately made the decision to stick with your existing market and making your product the strongest it can be for motorcyclist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Zachary,
    I thought it was interesting that your first interviewee, Roy, said that younger rides are more inclined to be interested and buy technology, but that there are more older riders out there. This is an interesting market to get into--maybe there is a way to market technology to older riders who wouldn't be as originally inclined to listen.
    Thanks for sharing,
    Sydney

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Zachary,
    I agree that it may be hard to market Ridephones as a required piece of equipment for motorcyclists, and I have to agree with your interviewee, Matt, who said it would be difficult to make this a required piece of equipment. It's a novel idea, but you may get some resistance from some of the older riders who are not as technically savvy. It would be hard to sell them for auto drivers, as most people like to have their ears unplugged when driving to be able to hear what is going on around them. Having a display of Ridephones in local motorcycle shops as a "test" may be a starting point Good Post. Best, Emily

    ReplyDelete

Final Reflection

1)        One thing that stands out about my work in this course is the way my comfort with presenting new ideas to people grew each week....