For these interviews, I
found three people who fit the previously identified segment – young adults (ages 18-30) who ride motorcycles regularly. I presented them with three
products that currently exist as alternatives to my product: Wireless
(Bluetooth) running/gym headphones, a Bluetooth earpiece, and ordinary
headphones. I showed the interviewees photos of each product (reproduced below)
and the prices of those products (sourced from Amazon.com). The interviewees
were asked to pick the products most and least suitable for use while riding a
motorcycle, then describe the primary considerations of their decision. After
answering the initial questions, the interviewees were asked open-ended
questions about their buying behavior, such as their likelihood to buy online
versus in-store, and the degree of “rightness” they would expect to feel after
the purchase.
![]() |
| Wireless Headphones, $29.99 |
![]() |
| Earpiece, $15.99 |
![]() |
| Ordinary Headphones, $8.79 |
The findings of these
interviews are as follows:
Interview #1, Thomas:
Most suitable: Wireless headphones
Least suitable: Ordinary headphones
Primary considerations: Functionality. Thomas felt that
the ordinary headphone cords would be restrictive, and that the earpiece could
fall out while riding. He noted that these considerations were strong enough to
offset the higher price of the wireless headphones. Thomas also noted that he
would almost exclusively buy products like this one on Amazon due to the
perceived higher price and inconvenience of buying in-store. However, he
mentioned that that these wireless headphones would not feel as “right” as a
typical purchase due to its insufficiency for riding a motorcycle.
Interview #2, Hailey:
Most suitable: Earpiece
Least suitable: Ordinary headphones
Primary considerations: Functionality and price. She
believed that the ordinary headphone’s cords would be restrictive, but also
that the wireless headphones were too expensive. As such, she selected the
earpiece, which she called the “middle-of-the-road” option. When asked whether
she is more likely to purchase this type of product in-store or online, she
strongly indicated a preference for shopping online. She also added that, based
on the picture and price, she sees no reason why this product would not be
suitable for use while riding a motorcycle.
Interview #3, Logan:
Most suitable: Wireless headphones
Least suitable: Ordinary headphones
Primary considerations: Functionality and quality. Like
the other two interviewees, functionality was Logan’s primary consideration.
The ordinary headphones were deemed too restrictive, while the wireless
headphones were selected as the best option of the three. Interestingly, Logan
also indicated that the quality of the wireless headphones was perceived to be
higher than that of the earpiece. When asked if price was a consideration, he
indicated that it was not; in his words, “I don’t care about price when it
comes to something I use on my bike. I just care that it works and is safe.” He
also indicated that he would be much more likely to purchase the product
online.
Conclusions: This segment seems much more likely to consider
functionality and quality over price when making a purchase. Additionally, this
segment shows a strong preference for online shopping rather than traditional,
in-store purchases. They also appear less likely to indicate a favorable
post-purchase evaluation if the product does not entirely meet their needs,
indicating a high degree of selectivity when making a purchasing decision.



Hi Zachary,
ReplyDeleteGreat job further defining your buyer behavior. I loved your idea to show pictures of different products and prices then basing questions off of that. It is also interesting that your interviewees preferred to shop online for headphones. I am always buying headphones in person because I need them right away but I agree that needing a certain pair for motorcycles would also lead me to an online purchase.
Grant