I. Opportunity
I believe that there exists a need for a
wireless, Bluetooth-enabled headset designed to fit underneath a motorcycle
helmet. This product would be designed to connect to a smartphone and deliver
helpful audio inputs to the rider. These inputs can include navigation, music, communication,
road hazard information, updates on weather conditions, etc.
Those who would benefit from this need include
all motorcycle riders; however, there is a focus in this venture on the
particular needs of young (ages 18-35) motorcyclists. Findings from experience
exercises throughout this exercise have shown that young motorcyclists have
needs that are different from those of other motorcyclists, and these needs can
be addressed by the product put forward in this venture.
Currently, no single product exists to service
this need in its entirety. Many motorcycle riders attempt to use a variety of
non-specialized products, such as exercise/fitness headphones, Bluetooth
earpieces, and even ordinary (i.e with cord) headphones. These alternatives not
only fail to address the full scope of the need, but also present obvious
safety concerns that threaten the well-being of the rider and his/her fellow
motorists.
Additional opportunity considerations include
the following: This market appears to be primarily domestic; further research
is needed to determine if this need also exists internationally. This market
may be concentrated in the Southern United States, as weather conditions allow
for riding a motorcycle year-round. My experience exercises throughout ENT3003
indicate that although Millenials (those born between approx. 1980 and 1998)
are less likely to own a motorcycle than Generation X, those who do own one
tend to ride much more frequently, with some even riding a motorcycle in place
of a traditional commuter vehicle; however, the small sample sizes of these
exercises may warrant additional research.
II. Innovation
This product will
feature a minimalist design with around-the-ear “grips”, allowing the headset
to stay in place when exposed to the forces experienced during a motorcycle
ride (vibration, wind, etc.). Additionally, the product will be powered by
Bluetooth, thereby rendering it cordless and enabling handsfree use.
Accompanying this
product will be a small device that mounts onto the handlebars of the
motorcycle. This device will feature volume control buttons, as well as a mute
button that will stop all audio when pressed, and the audio will remain muted
until the button is pressed a second time. Although a variety of smartphone
applications already exist to provide this product with functionality (e.g
Spotify, Google Maps, etc.), I also envision the development of a companion
application that will feature GPS navigation, traffic conditions, and weather
updates within one convenient interface.
This product will be
sold in a package containing both the headset and control device. Although it
is difficult to predict a selling price without having defined manufacturing
costs, given that I will be operating in a niche market that provides no
adequate substitutes, I expect that this product would sell through
successfully at a price of approx. $55. The smartphone application will be a
paid app, and I expect its price to fall within a range of $0.99 to $2.99.
Further research will be conducted to determine if other pricing models may be
more appropriate.
III. Venture Concept
This product addresses the aforementioned
needs by creating a “personal assistant for motorcyclists.” Motorcycle riders
tend to have a strong emotional connection to their motorcycle and the feelings
prompted during a ride. As such, customers in this market tend to be much more
willing to invest in a superior motorcycle riding experience and are therefore
likely to purchase this product. Additionally, the lack of competitors
currently offering a perfectly substitutable good will allow this venture to
quickly gain a favorable competitive position in this market.
Findings from
experience exercises have indicated that Millennials strongly prefer online
ordering over traditional shopping. Given this, I expect that entry into online
marketplaces such as Amazon will be critical for the success of this venture. However,
the value that retail stores can provide in this market should not be
discounted. Most motorcycle dealerships also operate a retail store where
customers can purchase a wide variety of motorcycle gear, and these stores
would be an ideal avenue through which to sell my product. It is worth noting
that most motorcycle gear is bulky and demands substantial shelf space in
retail stores, making this product’s comparatively small size a critical
strength in retail sales.
IV: Additional Elements
1. Critical Advantage: My
critical advantage will be my intuitive understanding of the needs encountered
by its customers. I am not only the entrepreneur behind this venture; I am also
its prototypical customer.
2. Next Steps for this
Venture: A next step for this venture would be to capitalize on the rapid
growth of technology and focus on ways in which new developments could be
integrated into the motorcycle riding experience – in other words, a “lifestyle
brand” for young motorcyclists.
3. Next Steps for Myself:
In five to ten years, I hope to have done at least one of the following: 1)
Grown this venture into a viable and profitable business, or 2) Learned from
this venture in a way that will make my future ventures more likely to succeed.
Hi Zachary,
ReplyDeleteThis post is fantastic! You can tell that your have really thought this idea out and made your concept extremely thorough. I agree with your critical advantage, because your are the prototypical customer, you have valuable insight as to what will make this product sell. I also liked your future aspirations and knowing that whether this venture takes off or not, you will have learned valuable lessons either way.
Hi Zachary,
ReplyDeleteYou did a great job explaining the different components of your idea. You have really been able to explain the product now. I love the idea of being able to mute it on your handlebars and having an app to integrate the different things you would need when riding a motorcycle. Again your passion comes through and makes your idea come to life. Good work.
Grant
Hi Zachary,
ReplyDeleteI like how you organized your venture concept because it was very easy to differentiate the different points you had. I also really like the name because it is simple and sounds inviting to the consumer. I am in the same boat as you being not only the entrepreneur, but also the protypical customer, which I think it truly the biggest advantage because you can think how your target consumer would think.
Thanks for sharing,
Sydney
Thank you for your post, I look for such article along time, today i find it finally. this post give me lots of advise it is very useful for me. organic ghee butter
ReplyDelete